The Vrtba Garden, designed by Frantisek Maximilian Kanka in 1720 is situated on the slope of the Petrin Hill, considered to be one of the most beautiful Baroque gardens in Central Europe.
This site underwent structural reconstruction between 1990 and 1998, and was then re-opened to the public on 3rd June 1998. The garden is situated on three terraced platforms, connected with staircases. The lowest floral terrace with a circular fountain in the centre is where you will find the beautifully preserved Sala Terrena, decorated with paintings on the vaults and statues of Bacchus and Cerere.
The elegant staircases between the terraces are decorated with vases and statues of ancient gods and on the top terrace there is the pavilion, from which there is a beautiful view of Prague Castle, the Cathedral of St. Nicholas and further on the Lesser Town and the Old and New Towns.
Today, the Vrtba Garden is a popular venue for weddings, too. This hidden garden is located off Karmelitska Street and is very easy to miss behind its unassuming gate, but is well worth seeking out.